Friday, September 07, 2007

Je ne veux pas faire une nuit blanche

In approximately 12 hours I will be an island in a sea of strangers on my first day as a Peace Corps Volunteer Trainee. I find this oddly comforting. Tomorrow I will be standing next to 60 some odd people who have spent the last month thinking far to long about packing, just like me, and who have racked their brains trying to imagine their future, just like me. I will meet them and we will all give our history, passions and aspirations in 5 sentences or less and I will race to keep them all straight. But somewhere in the waves of vapid conversation and perfunctory summations lie the seeds of profound relationships and consequential futures. So while emotions wiz haphazardly through my chest - excitment for what lies ahead mixed with fears of the same and an overall sadness to leave all those I love so dearly - there is comfort in knowing that it is finally time to go. My life has been artfully shoved into 2 bags, I have mastered 3 arabic phrases and I have no idea where I will be in a week. I'm moving to Morocco!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, how is your first day in Morocco? Are you being wined and dined as advertised?
Dad

Anonymous said...

Well, how is your first day in Morocco? Are you being wined and dined as advertised?
Dad

Anonymous said...

I'll try not to post everthing twice.
Dad

Anonymous said...

I'm still so excited for you!